How To Install Your ROAM Awning
Installing Your ROAM Awning
In this video, we will show you how to install the 6.5 ft ROAM Adventure Co. roof rack awning. You will use the same process for all ROAM Awnings.
Let's Get Started.
In Your ROAM Package:
Aluminum Awning Frame
2 Adjustable Height Aluminum Awning L-Brackets
4 Hex Bolts (M8x125mm)
4 Nylon Locking Nuts
What You Will Need:
A Roof Rack
4 Roof Rack Channel Bolts with Nylon Locking Nuts
A Ratchet Wrench
2 Awning L-Brackets* - we recommend purchasing awning brackets from the manufacturer of your specific roof rack for the easiest and most secure mounting of our awning.
Step 1: Assemble Your Awning Brackets
- Locate your 4 hex bolts and 2 awning L-brackets.
- Loosely screw 2 hex bolts into the short side of an awning L-bracket.
- Repeat this process for the remaining 2 hex bolts and awning L-bracket.
Step 2: Attach Awning Brackets To Aluminum Frame
- Locate the aluminum frame on your awning.
- Take one assembled awning L-bracket and slide it into the channels on either end of the aluminum frame. Note, the channels are distanced at 1 3/8 inches apart.
- Repeat this process for the second assembled awning L-bracket.
- Place the awning and attached aluminum frame parallel against your roof rack. This is the easiest way to ensure your awning L-brackets will line up with your roof rack.
- Confirm the aluminum frame is facing up and that the long sides of your attached awning L-brackets are pointing upward.
- Adjust the awning L-bracket locations on your aluminum frame so that they line up with your roof rack's cross-brackets.
- Once positioned, take your ratchet wench and tighten your hex bolts to ensure that the awning L-brackets are mounted to the awning aluminum frame. Please do not over-torque the bolts.
Step 3: Mount Awning To Roof Rack
Not everyone will have the same roof rack system. That's ok. The universal mount kit should work as long as you have a channel bolt system.
- Locate your 4 roof rack channel bolts, 2 spacers, and 4 nylon locking nuts.
- Take 2 channel bolts and place them in your roof rack channels on the front end of your roof rack. They should be able to slide.
- Add a spacer to the the roof rack channel bolts. The spacer allows for additional space between your roof rack and the awning, so that the awning does not rub and damage your roof rack.
- Repeat these steps on the back end of your roof rack for the remaining 2 channel bolts and add on the second spacer.
- Once the spacers and channel bolts are correctly positioned, place the awning with attached L-brackets onto the roof rack. You should be able to place the L-brackets directly on top of the spacers.
- Check to confirm the awning is straight and parallel to the roof rack.
- Take your 4 nylon locking nuts and place them into the L-bracket holes. These will hold your awning in place attached the the channel bolts and spacers.
- With a ratchet, synch all 4 nylon locking nuts until they are tight. Avoid over-torquing.
- As a final check, confirm all bolts are tightly fastened.
If you find yourself having any issues with mounting your awning or questions, reach out to email@example.com
Ready To Setup?
You are now ready to use your car awning! Check out How To Set Up Your Awning (link to other article) to watch how to set up these roll-up awnings.